Recipe: Gingerbread Men
It’s that wonderful time of the year, you have the Christmas Tree in your living room and you feel cosy and warm under your blanket with your mug of warm beverage, whether it’s a hot chocolate or a nice cup of tea. What seems to be missing, you may ask?
Perhaps a gingerbread man to dunk into your cup? Well, if that sounds tasty, I have some amazing news for you! You can even bake your own gingerbread man! So, what are you waiting for? Grab your chef’s hat and start baking!!!
- 225g plain flour as well as a small quantity for dusting
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 heaped tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 50g unsalted butter
- 100g soft brown sugar
- 100g golden syrup
- Decorations – sweets, coloured icing, sprinkles, chocolate chips (whatever you want!)
How to make gingerbread men:
- Turn on your oven and set the temperature to 190C (170C for fan or Gas 5) Get your baking tray and line it with baking parchment.
- Grab a large bowl and sieve the flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon into it.
- Heat the butter, sugar and syrup until they are dissolved. Leave the dissolved sugar mixture to cool down slightly.
- Mix the sugar mixture into the dry ingredients to create a dough.
- Put the dough into your fridge for 30 minutes.
- Dust the clean surface with some flour.
- Grab your dough and roll it out. Make sure the dough is 1/4 inch thick.
- Get a gingerbread man cutter and start cutting into the dough.
(Tip: You can use different cutters such as stars or Christmas trees!)
- Re-roll the dough and cut some more shapes.
- Put those shapes onto the lined trays. Make sure to leave equal gaps between the shapes in order for them to spread.
- Cook the shapes in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Take the shapes out of the oven and leave to cool.
- Decorate using whatever items you wish! You can add a splash of colour by using sprinkles or sweets.
You could also use coloured icing tubes to draw details on your gingerbread people, such as hair or faces!